Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Planning and Paperwork

I spent most of today sketching the vision I had of the front cover of the final Poetry Street Project magazine. I envisioned a street sign on a white cover, but I was also concerned about the logistical details, like making the image on 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper so it could easily be scanned and made into a .jpg for use in publication. So, I started with a regular size sketchbook page and my drawing pencils, but that only led to 4 or 5 false starts. I had taken a photo of a Davenport street sign to help me get the perspective right, but even that did not translate onto the page the way I saw it in my mind's eye.

Finally, I threw all logistical concerns to the four winds, brought out my easel and large sketch pad and my charcoal drawing kit and tools. Thus suddenly freed, I seized my soft charcoal, applied it to the page and the image began to emerge within minutes--the image I had seen that first morning the Poetry Street Project came to me.

I spent the next five or six hours intensely sketching, outlining, applying layer after layer of charcoal to draw the image from the page. It was exhilarating.

It has been months since I've sat and indulged myself in any artistic pursuit besides writing and photography. Today's session at the easel was like a homecoming.

Tomorrow I hope to get the oversize sketch reduced and copied at Kinko's.

I also called and left a message for the director of the Davenport library this morning and sent her a follow-up email this afternoon. As soon as I get approval (or not) for the library to be a drop-off point, we will be ready to print the flyers, posters, and submission forms.

My oldest daughter, Mary Ellen, applied her graphic arts skills this week to design those forms for me. She, too, has experienced homelessness briefly and it is gratifying that she is eager to help on this project.

No comments: